June 16, 2008

Gettting Old 1 Norm 0

This morning I was trying to clean up a little present Pancho had left me on the tile. (At least it wasn't on the carpet) We have a little fence we set up in certain places so he can't get in. (like the kitchen and dining room) It's not really a fence it is just one of those baby gate thingies. I bet you can see where this is going...

Anyways I have paper towels in one hand and a trash bag in the other and my big toe catches the fence as I step over. PAUSE... I used to chuckle when I heard old people talking about slipping and busting their hip or whatever. I was like "how in the heck do you go from walking to falling?"... UNPAUSE... All of my weight shifted forward anticipating the step over the fence that did not occur. In slow motion I repented of the things I said when I was young and looked for a place to gracefully land.

The funny thing is that time seemed to slow down and I thought for sure I was going to be able to catch my fall and laugh about it ten seconds later. But while the brain was poised for action, the limbs took a poll and decided they were boycotting this mission. All 200+ of my chiseled body landed on my right knee. I thought for sure the impact alone was going to shatter my knee cap. 

Well even though my knee didnt shatter my ego did. This was really weird for me. I used to move with such elegance and prowess. But now I moved like a three-legged cat dipped in a vat of Orange marmalade and half-drunk. Think about it...

Just in case you were wondering. I am ok... LOL!