June 14, 2010

mmmmmmm... salt...

Salt. I dont think about it much. I mean, I grew up in the south, which means you salt your food before you even taste it (and butter it). I remember one of the earliest phrases I learned was, "pass the salt". Why??? Because I like me some flavor!

I'm not one of these fitness fanatics that say food is just "fuel". Gas is fuel. Firewood is fuel. Food is my pleasure. That's why I want my food to taste good! In the gospel of Matthew 5:13 it says that WE (as Jesus people) are the salt of the earth.

If you are in Christ, you should have flavor. You flavor the world like salt flavors food. But think about it, you don't put chunks of salt on your plate. That would be weird!?! It would be like saying "Hey pass me the salt, I need to salt my big chunk of salt a little more..." Salt flavors the food. What this means is the food (the world) actually benefits from the salt's presence. It (salt) makes a difference...

You (are the salt) make a difference! If you are in Jesus, realize that he has put you where you are for a reason. You may be disgruntled, because you are in a harsh work situation, or a bad school, or a terrible carpool group, or a sketch neighborhood, etc. etc. But here is the real deal. If we are to live like Jesus, we need to be in these places, because we need to bring the God flavor (love, selflessness, hope...) to these areas. God has called us to be salt in a place that has lost it's true flavor.

Now, I'm not downplaying that it is hard to live in contexts that don't seem to put God first. It is a high calling to take up our cross. But who can snatch us from His loving care? If God is for us who can be against us? If we are in Christ that is the ultimate prize.

Even if we die. He is worth it...

Now, go out and share the flavor!!!