December 17, 2009

Growth Spurt!

I spent much of today cleaning up old files in the hard drive and organizing everything for the new year and came across alot of old stuff. All I have to say is we sure have grown! You don't see it while it's happening but when you look back at things you can really see how much things have changed.

I have been so thankful to work at a place that I love. I enjoy the staff I work with and I love all the parents and students I work with as well. I can't believe how much God has blessed Kim and I this past year, in every way imaginable.

GraceSTUDENTS has grown in many ways. Not only are we twice as big as last year, but even with that we really are getting to know one another well. I think the students are getting to know the leaders and I really feel like the leaders are pouring into students lives and knowing them as well. I think our volunteers are beginning to understand the vision of how important student ministry really is!

This past year we have really been seeing great things that only can be seen with the investment of time. I am praying that the Lord will allow us to minister with you guys for years and years to come, and I can't wait to grow old with Grace! I think God has taught me a few things that I'd like to share with you about growth.

1. We must stay connected to God. Ministry is just a job when you do it on your own. I cannot say I have been perfect this year in putting God before "the work", but I am closer than I was this time last year. Only when I am connected with Him can I see the vision that He has for our ministry and city.

2. Discouragement happens. Just like the spring turns to summer and then fall, discouragement will happen upon all of us. I don't know why this is, but it just does. I have a family history of depression so it makes it even tougher, but it is very wise to understand that these times will come. I was listening to a speaker who said a spiritual healthy heart is more prepared to deal with discouragement. This is another reason why #1 is so important.

3. If you want to grow in leadership, you have to pay the price of responsibility. I have always wanted to be a leader, but didn't realize that with great leadership comes an even greater responsibility. Let's face it, it's easier to keep the bar set really low. No one gets mad at you, but nothing ever happens. I read a great quote by Charles Stanley , " Discipline not desire determine's a person's destiny". Leadership increases when a leader decides to own his/her life, vision and decisions. There is no such thing as passive leadership.

I actually have more but Im gonna break it up into another blog, so be on the look out for Growth Spurt! Part Two!