September 9, 2009

cool is relative

I saw a funny ezine article that talked about growing up in the 90's. I laughed at the things that it talked about as I raced down memory lane for fifteen minutes or so. One of the funniest things in the article was how we thought MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice (picture to the right for those born after 1992) were actually cool.

I don't care who you are, at least 95% of teenagers jammed "Ice Ice Baby" when it came out. C'mon, don't kid yourself, (if you are my age) you liked it, even if it was just a little. Some kids in my school even shaved slits in their eyebrows because the "VIP" did it. I can't believe I did... err... I mean other kids did that.

I use this picture on the right because we actually thought Vanilla looked cool in this outfit in the early 90's. I mean it was actually okay to wear that (horrendous) outfit... We were pretty dumb. But we were teenagers... I guess I write this because I sometimes I think about how we give teenagers such a hard time about the things that they do, when I was just as much a lemming back in the day. So take that for what it's worth, and give a teenager a break today.

 "Word to your mother..."