March 19, 2009

If it's broke then...

I recently ran across an old commercial. You might remember it, or you might have never seen it.  Watch the clip up to 1:43 first, then read below. 



The first time I watched this clip I thought, "These people are dumb, it's obvious that they can just walk up the escalator. Lame...." But then the Holy Spirit tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Is it really lame?? 

That made me think about assumptions in my life. And as I started to think about it more I thought, "Isn't this how many Christ-followers and churches operate?" 

We know exactly what to do, but we refuse to change. Just like the people stuck on the escalator we may think, "This thing will fix itself, we'll just wait here until it does." 

But it won't just fix itself... God is calling us to change. He is calling us to be constantly shedding our old selves and not allowing ourselves to be stuck in 1995. I have to admit, I love the church of 1995. It's where I first encountered Christ. But this is 2009. If our heart is to reach Orlando it will take change, so please be ready!

"A church that pitches its tents without constantly looking out for new horizons, which does not continually strike camp, is being untrue to its calling... We must play down our longing for certainty, accept what is risky, live by improvisation and experiment"
- Hans Kung