January 21, 2009

Attention poor

Life is flying fast. I mean its like BAM! Now I am kickin' it in the lower thirties. What tha? What I have noticed, though, is instead of my attention span becoming longer it has seemed to become even shorter. I mean I want my information instantaneously and preferably in pictures.

But is that the way to have a meaningful life? I am not here to talk about the evils of technology and blah blah blah. I am just talking about myself and how I have become attention poor. I have found myself listening to somebody talk and the internal voice in my head was saying, "I wish this person would give me a synopsis, 140 characters or less please." But I started noticing when I was talking other people had this same dazed look on their face too. (yeah, i noticed you)

I was reading somewhere that the reason we have so little attention is that we are trying to process and exponentially larger amount of information then we were 10-20 years ago. Information has increased but our time is still the same. We still only have 24 hours in a day, but the pages of information out there at our fingertips is staggering. 

So if you have hung with me this long, here is what I want you to try and do. I want you to take some time to day to actually listen to someone when they are talking to you. Dont think about what you are going to say, just listen to what they are saying and pay attention. It may be hard, but its a missing commodity these days that will be welcomed with the people you spend time with today.